- Club Programs
- Discussion Forums
March Board Meeting Minutes
Rainier Valley Rotary Club
March 18 Board/Leadership Meeting
Location: Bookworm Exchange in Columbia City
Date: March 18, 2009, 4-6 p.m.
Attending: Barker, DeHaan, Gutknecht, Turner, Vinh, Williams
1. Membership Program
2. Book Drive
4. Move to Kallaloo
5. April 18
8. Finance Report
9. Holiday Givt Bags
12. Chageover and Officers
Goal is 25 members by July 1 - we have an installation social to introduce new members, do skits, have fun
Goal is to promote the membership drive through the April 18 conference - see below.
Joseph said maybe it's time he start bringing Buzz.
Book Drive -
- lasts 3 weeks
- donation boxes in retail, office, lobbys
- donation of cash - how?
- work with other clubs? Make a list of possible co-sponsors
- when? Consensus was this is a May event.
- make up a list of locations we're going to solicit to participate
- Rusty will direct this event
Money goes to our Rotary community donations:
Specific Benefactors we can tell donors the money goes to: Gift bags for seniors, NW African American History Museum, Scholarships to this community, etc.
We need to go around the community and solicit donations of goods and services
Joseph will direct this program
Move to Kallaloo
- Soon. Howard will talk with Joe Fuguere at Tutta Bella
- Howard will inform the supporting Rotarians
April 18 Event "Rainier Valley Economic Bootstrapping" Conference
- This is an open-meeting style conference - we may have an indication of some of the people who are bringing programming in advance. The final program will be determined the day-of. Some people who have told us they are coming:
Elizabeth Stevens NW Business Center - SBA 504 Loans - how tStacy.Noland - Moontownfoundation.org
Rusty asked how the members can invite people to the conference? Howard demonstrated the "Please Tear This Off" technique.
Howard encourages all clubmembers to study the sites associated with these two program presenters and imagine how their programs can benefit prosperity in Rainier Valley. How can saving a low-income household $500 on their energy bills per year help? How can getting loan funding to rehab a building help? What other speakers and programs might help?
Socials - IDEAS:
Jamie Sievert - suggested by Diana
Victoria Rotary Leadership - who's going?
Social with Sodo Rotary -- ??
Social with International - ??
Another Cinema Event??
Tie-In With Farmer's Market
Family Read At The Bookstore
Barbeque Social - this summer
Visit the Van Asselt - April
Last year we funded Black Pioneers - back to East Coast to visit black colleges - $1500
We did one with Mercer Island - Diversity Team Thing?
Howard asked how we can leverage scholarships to gain membership?
Go to the Franklin High Counseling office - work to get an Alumni or PTSA - get a member
Go to Rainier Beach - work to get an Alumni or PTSA - get a member
- No-one is
Account One: Club Account - $1637.76
Account Two: Foundation Account $ $4139.85
Account Three - Foundation CD at Viking Bank $15,000 -
Account Four - $250??' money left over from start-up event at Columbia City Theater? OR was this deposited in account one?
Holiday Gift Bags For Seniors:
- Joseph reported that the items that go into the bags cost about $4500 last year.
Speakers/Programs - Howard Reported these are the coming programs:
Tuesday Morning Program Ideas:
- Habitat For Humanity - Tukwilla
- Vocational Talks program - everyone has 5 min.